Asking the Way
A: Excuse me, sir. Can you tell me the way to Bihai Hotel, please?
B: Sure. You can go there by bus.
A: Is it a long way from here?
B: No, it'll take you fifteen minutes.
A: Which bus can I take?
B: You can take a No. 2 bus.
A: Where is the bus stop?
B: Just go straight. Look, the bus is coming.
A: Thank you very much.
B: You're welcome.
II. Teaching procedures
Step 1. Warming-up
T: Nice to meet you. My name is Bright. B-R-I-G-H-T. Shall we sing an English song named "Bingo", and try. to change the' word "Bingo" with my name "Bright"?
Step 2. Presentation
T: I'm new here, when I arrived at the airport, I heard someone said "对不起"(注①)，"早晨好"(注②).I really want to know their meanings in English. Could you help me?
S: "对不起" is "Excuse me" and "早晨好" is "Good morning".
T: Thanks a lot. And now could you tell me something about your city? I want to travel in this city, but I don't know where I should go.
S1: Bai Lian Dong Park.
S2: Fisher Girl.
S3: Jiuzhou Town.
T: Good. But I want to find a hotel now.Please do me a favour. Can you tell me
the names of some hotels in this city?
S1: 2000 Hotel.
S2: Yindu Hotel.
S3: Bihai Hotel.
(The teacher takes notes while the students are speaking.)
Step 3. New structures learning
T: They all sound very nice. But how can I get there, by bus or by bike?
S: By bus.
T: And how long will it take me to get there? Maybe fifteen minutes is enough.
(The teacher looks at the watch and gives the students a gesture.)
1) Draw a stick-figure picture to help the students understand the meaning of the sentence:
"It'll take someone some time to do something."
2) Write the sentence "It'll take you fifteen minutes. " on the blackboard, and have the students imitate the sentence.
3) A guessing game:
T: Please look at these pictures and guess
"How long will it take me to ...?"
T: How long will it take me to have a football match?
S1: It'll take you ninety minutes.
4) Get the students to listen to the recording of the dialogue, in order to introduce the
new sentence: "Just go straight."
5) Use the multi-media to help the students understand the meaning of the sentence
6) Write the sentence on the blackboard, and have the students imitate the sentence:
"Just go straight."
Step 4. Practice
1) Ask the students to listen to the dialogue once more, then ask them to repeat after the tape, first individually and then in pairs.
2) Encourage the students to read their dialogue with their deskmates.
Step 5. Consolidation
T: You know I'm from Shanghai. Maybe in the future you'll go to Shanghai, so I've prepared some photographs for you.
1) Show the photographs of "Nanjing Road", "Pudong New Area" and "the Bund" to the students.
2) Get the students to ask the teachers from Shanghai something they don't know, such as
directions, transportations in Shanghai.
3) Ask some students to introduce their tour plans to Shanghai.