Unit 1 School life
Unit 1 School life
attend vt. 参加，出席
earn n. 获得
respect v. 尊敬，敬重
achieve v. 取得，完成
grade n. 等级，成绩
subject n. 科目
literature n. 文学
average adj. 普通的；平均的
an average of
cooking n. 烹饪
extra adj. 另外的，额外的
Spanish n. 西班牙语
adj. 西班牙的, 西班牙人的.，西班牙语的
miss v. 想念
dessert n. 餐后甜点
dessert , desert /e/
dessert表示甜点，而desert 表示沙漠。但是desert也可以发/ i /, 这时它是作为动词，意思是抛弃，离弃。例：荒岛 a deserted island
experience vt. 经历，体验
article vt. 文章
immediately vi 立刻，马上
What do you mean?
1）mean that +宾语从句
I mean you needn’t finish it today.
Falling into the river on such a cold day means losing your life.
Learning English means spending a lot time.
3）mean to do 计划=plan to do
I didn’t mean to hurt you.
We mean to give you a surprise.
What’s the meaning of this word? Do you know?
2. attend, take part in, join和join in
attend, take part in, join和join in都表示“参加”的意思。但是，attend 通常与meeting, lecture搭配。take part in 常常指参加一个重大的活动。join表示参加一个“组织”、“团体”等, 也可以说加入某人, join sb, 而join in表示参加一个活动。如join in （doing） sth, join sb in （doing） sth.
We attend school every day.
He took part in the celebration.
He joined army five years ago.
3. This sounded like my school in China.
That sounds like a good idea.
Your explanation sounds reasonable to me.
Your voice sounds sweet in the phone.
联想1：与sound有相同用法的词还有look, taste, feel等感官动词。
You look beautiful in this blue dress.
This sofa feels comfortable.
联想2：sound n. 声音
sound, voice 与noise
4. used to do
Einstein used to be a student who is not good at Maths.
They used to swim together every day.
联想1：used to do 与be used to doing
used to do表示过去常常做某事，而be used to doing 表示习惯做某事
I’m used to living in China now.
I am still not used to getting up so early every day.
5. I usually went to the Computer Club at lunchtime, so I could e-mail my family and friends back home for free.
for free 免费的
We provide tea for passengers for free. 我们免费为乘客们提供茶。
6. Though it didn’t look like a table when it was finished, I still liked it very much.
例：Though he got up early, he didn’t catch the train.虽然他起得早，但没赶上那一趟车。
Though I am not a rich man, I still would like to help others.
例：I got a cold, not serious though.
例：I found the homework was not as heavy as what I used to get in my old school.
I hope I will be as beautiful as my mother.
She is not as pride as she used to be.
He is as tall as that small tree. （a boy）
He is as tall a boy as that small tree.
例：We have as good a time as you have.
否定：not as… as, not so … as
例：This means I could get up an hour later than usual as schools in China begin before 8 a.m.
I felt lucky as all my friends were kindhearted.
As he grew older, he lost interest in everything except gardening.
1. Some girl students asked me to ________ them in _______ Mary a happy birthday
A. join; to wish B. attend; to wish C. join; wishing D.take part in; wishing
2. Life here is much easier than it .
A. is about to B. thanks to C. used to be D. belong to
3. She shouldn’t that gift, for it her sister.
A. accept, belongs to B. accept, is belonged to
C. received, belongs to D. received, is belonging to
4. The young man spent as much time as he over his lessons.
A. went B. has gone C. would go D. could going
5. I _______ if you’ll give me some advice on how to learn English.
A. wonder B. ask C. am puzzled D. wish
6. —Be careful! Your hair might get caught in the machine.
—Thank you. I _________ I ________ so close to it.
A. don’t know; am B. haven’t known; was
C. didn’t know; was D. haven’t known; am
7. —Why haven’t you bought any butter?
—I _______ to, but I forgot about it.
A. liked B. wished C. meant D. expected
8. They made an important decision _________ the end of the meeting.
A. in B. by C. on D. at
9. —Would you like some coffee?
—Yes, but only ________.
A. little B. very little C. a little D. little bit
10. Pop music is a great _________ with young people.
A. favorable B. favored C. favorite D. favor
Robert and Joanna like school very much. At school they can talk to their friends but Robert and Joanna cannot see their friends. They live 100, perhaps 300 miles away and like Robert and Joanna, they all go to school by radio.
Mount Ebenezer is in the centre of Australia. Not many people live in “The Centre”. There are no schools with desks and blackboards and no teachers in “The Centre”, school is a room at home with a two-way radio. The teacher also has a two-way radio. Every morning she calls each student on the radio. When all the students answer, lessons begin…. Think of your teacher 300 miles away!
11. The children in “The Centre” do not go to a school because .
A. they live too far away from each other
B. they do not like school
C. they are not old enough to go to school
D. their families are too poor
12. In order to send their children to school, parents in “The Centre” of Australia need to provide _________.
A. a desk B. a car
C. a school room at home D. a special radio
13. Teachers in “The Centre” of Australia teach .
A. not in a classroom but at the homes of the students
B. by speaking only and not showing anything in writing
C. without using any textbooks or pictures
D. without knowing whether the students are attending
14. When children are having a lesson, they can hear their teacher, .
A. but their teacher cannot hear them
B. and their teacher can hear them too
C. but cannot hear classmates
D. and see him or her at the same time
一、1—5 CCADA 6—10 CDDCC
二、11、A 12、D 13、B 14、B