1.Get the Ss to grasp the main meaning of the whole text.
2..Ask the Ss to retell the text according to the questions.
Step I Lead in
2.Show the map of Egypt and Africa
3.Get the Ss to respond the teacher’s questions:
T: Where is Africa ?
Where is Egypt ?
What is the river?
What is the dam ?
4.Ask one student to say something about Egypt.
Step II. Watch the video
Q: Is the High Dam a successful project ? (No)
Step III. Presentation
1.Read the text again and give them three questions ,
Qs: (1).Why was the High Dam built ?
(2).What is the High Dam like ?
(3).What were the problems with the building of the dam?
2.Discuss the answers in pairs.
3.Discuss the answers in class.
4.Try to help the Ss to be able to retell the text in their own words.
The possible answers:
1) The River Nile used to flood large areas every year and destroyed houses and crops. The new dam can control the waters of the Nile so that they run regularly all through the year. Electricity(20-50%of the electricity which Egypt needs )can be produced from the water which runs through the base of the dam.
2) The High Dam is the biggest in the world. It is 3830 meters long, 980 meters wide an the base and 40 meters wide at the top. The lake made by the dam is 500 kilometers long.
3) The water level of the lake was going to rise by 63 meters. It would be necessary to move 53000 people from their villages. A lot of important old temples dated from about 1250 BC would be covered by the water of the new lake so they would be in danger.
Step III Discuss
The Three Gorges Dam Project and the problems.
Step III Practice.
1. Where is the Palace Museum ? (in the center of Beijing)
2. How big is it ? (an area of 72 hectares)
3. When was it first built? (in the early 15thcentury)
4. How many people did it take to work on it? (1,000,000)
5. How long did the building of the project last? When was it finished? (14 years,1492)
6. What happened to some of the houses during the later years? (rebuild)
7. Who used to live in it ? (twenty-four emperors)
8. When didi it become a museum and open to the public ? (1925)
The Palace Museum is in the center of Beijing. It covers an area of 72 hectares(公顷). It was first built in the early 15thcentury. It took 1,000,000 people to work on it. The building of the project lasted 14 years and was finished in 1420. During the later years, some of the houses were rebuilt. Twenty-four emperors used to live in it. It was not until 1925 that the Palace Museum became a museum. Since then the place has been open to the public.
Step IV Practice
P90 Ex 3.
1.If we have no time to do the writing above in class, we can leave it as homework
2.Read the text again and again.